Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Part I: What Have I Been Missing?

Staying present, in the moment, focusing on the here and now is a struggle for me. Many times I replay what was said earlier in the day or the day before.  And usually it is negative stuff - that's not good.  Many times I think about what I have to do TOMORROW and I get anxious about it - that is totally no bueno!

I wonder how much of TODAY have I missed? 
I wonder how much unnecessary stress I am putting on myself?
Probably a lot.

For both our psychological and physical well-being, it is very important for us
To stay Focused on the Present Moment
To stay Focused on TODAY. 
To stay Focused on being Present in Conversation with others. Listen, I mean REALLY Listen, make eye contact and refrain from formulating what we are going to say next or checking our phones when someone is talking.
(Oh boy, how often have I done THAT - check my phone when someone is talking? Shame on ME!)

There is nothing we can do about the Past, it is done, over. 
Let it go and learn from it.
The future, isn't here yet. 
It is out of our hands and there is nothing we can do about it NOW.
Don't we have enough to deal with TODAY?

A new practice for me, right now is to remain present.  

Maybe this simple thought will help keep me on track: 




Photo Courtesy of: Picsbox.biz  

AHHH MINDFULNESS!  I talk about it, but how often am I actually PRACTICING it?
 
Yep, I am still working on that and I am going to need help! 

Hmmm maybe I should post it on my cubicle wall at work so I can see it every day?  

Here is a beautiful poem about focusing on TODAY

YESTERDAY, TODAY, TOMORROW

“There are two days in every week about which we should not worry.

Two days which should be kept free from fear and apprehension.

One of these days is YESTERDAY with its mistakes and cares,

Its faults and blunders, Its aches and pains.

YESTERDAY has passed forever beyond our control.

All the money in the world cannot bring back YESTERDAY.

We cannot undo a single act we performed.

We cannot erase a single word we said. YESTERDAY is gone.

The other day we should not worry is TOMORROW.

With its possible adversities, Its burdens,

Its large promise and poor performance.

TOMORROW is also beyond our immediate control.

TOMORROW‘s Sun will rise, either in splendor or behind a mask of clouds,

but it will rise.

Until it does, we have no stake in TOMORROW, for it is yet unborn.

This just leaves only one day . . . TODAY.

Any person can fight the battles of just one day.

It is only when you and I add the burdens of those two awful eternity’s -

YESTERDAY and TOMORROW that we break down.

It is not the experience of TODAY that drives people mad.

It is the remorse or bitterness for something which happened YESTERDAY.

and the dread of what TOMORROW may bring.

Let us therefore LIVE BUT ONE DAY AT A TIME.”

~ Author Unknown

Let's practice MINDFULLNESS NOW!  :-)

Photo Courtesy of Domonique Wilson
 
 
Resource:  www.purposefairy.com